Change Permissions in Write-Protected Internal Drive
Drive is in RAID0 was previously working without issue Read/Write and there was a power cut. Now drive can be read but write privileges are gone and admin cannot change permissions.
Here is the drive:
- Attempt I have gone to D:\ > Properties > Security
Administrators: Read & Write
If you then Edit (requires admin) and try to change permissions to Read and Write you get the following error: The media is write protected
- Attempt Open cmd run as administrator
Run line: icacls "D:" /grant Brendan:(OI)(CI)F /T
D:: The media is write protected.
How can I gain access to this drive again?
I have found the solution:
- Run: "diskpart" - This opens a Command prompt interface.
- "list disk" - This will identify all disks. Select the appropriate one.
- "select disk 1" - or whichever disk you want
- "attributes disk" - This shows if it is readonly
- "attributes disk clear readonly" - Should get message "Disk attributes cleared successfully.
Now you have access again.